Friday, October 17, 2008

Do I even KNOW you?

So, here I am, sitting at work, typing along, talking to a new dear dear friend, and her phone rings. She answers and all of the sudden is speaking FLUENTLY in German. WHAT?!?!?! I had no IDEA she spoke another language! INCREDIBLE!!!

ARRGGH!!! I love languages and was JUST thinking either yesterday or the day before how I really do want to be fluent in Spanish. So.

1. I can't even BELIEVE she's just ripping it out in this long conversation and I had NO idea she spoke it. (She's STILL talking and I am just SOAKING it in and and enjoying the heck out of this fun surprise!)

2. I wonder if it's time for me to start REALLY pursuing becoming fluent en espanol... I took 5 years, but just never used it to make it mine, you know?

Anyhow, that was a VERY fun surprise! I have never heard German for any length of time and it's a really fun language!!! Beautiful :O) I wonder what it was like at the Tower of Babel when everyone just started speaking other languages... that probably wasn't beautiful, more scary, but either way it's interesting to think about how this all started :O)

Here's to hoping you get to overhear great conversations that you don't understand today :O)

No comments: